• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Jazz Fusion/Smooth Jazz

wmonbear

Love comes and goes but FreeOnes is forever.
This thread is dedicated in honor and tribute to a true musical legend, David Sanborn, one of the greatest [if not THE greatest] jazz saxophonist
of all time who passed away on May 12, 2024, at the age of 78. Rest in peace, maestro! May your legacy forever be remembered. 🙏

This following [2] studio tracks highlight his stratospheric skills as master of the alto sax.

Live concert performance: Even well past his prime, Sanborn could still blow with the best of them!

Last edited:

Torre82

Moderator \ Jannie
Staff member
Holy shit, a fellow jazz fan?! Wmon, you just leveled up, in my opinion. :)

Back in Indiana, the 90s and 2000s we had an ACTUAL smooth jazz station and Dave Koz would call in/come in, every so often.
SPyro Gyra, paul hardcastle, etc...
While the normies were downing the pop stuff, I found smooth jazz to be the perfect offset to teenage/20s angst.

Smooth jazz listening loft or a lofi mix, these days. But good lord.. if I had a dollar for every jazzmasters or Keiko Matsui song I've ever heard on repeat...

on topic, tho: Rest in Peace, DS. I've spent many a night with your art, sir.

wmonbear

You're "preaching to choir" and speaking my language.
Done a ton of research and now have lots of content I plan to share in this thread.
I'm inspired by this type of jazz (i.e., "instrumental soul") because of its pure, timeless, soothing, and cerebral nature.
Though it's never reached "popular" status as a genre, it's the kind of music that never really goes out of style.

wmonbear

Jazz pianist Brian Culbertson LIVE in studio performing an original composition 🎹🎵

Tip: Enhance your listening experience using Microsoft FxSound Equalizer.

Last edited:

wmonbear

Here's a great example of "Jazz Fusion" that effectively blends jazz with rock.
It features perhaps the most spectacular guitar solo (Ulco Bed) that you'll ever see and hear!

Though I've seen this dozens of times, it never fails to illicit an emotional response.
No other musical performance or song has ever had this effect on me... amazing!

Supafly

Retired Morgenmuffel
Bronze Member
Ah! What a breath of fresh air! I love the stuff you guys shared, and hope this qualifies, too.

It is very much what I love

wmonbear

Ah! What a breath of fresh air! I love the stuff you guys shared, and hope this qualifies, too.

Actually, I really don't even have to click on this one, 'cause it's already on my YouTube Jazz playlist.
If you haven't seen this clip, it's worth a look if for nothing else than the killer drum solo by Ronald Bruner Jr.!
Great choice, Supafly. (y)

Last edited:

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.
I saw him play at the State, or the Ohio theater about 35 or 40 years ago. It was an amazing show. A lot of people don't realize how many jazz musicians play on rock albums, or with rock bands. Typically prog rock, but they do cross over. Frank Zappa has worked with a lot of these guys, including George Duke, and JL Ponty. Chester Thompson, who drummed for Weather Report, was the road drummed for Genesis for a couple of decades. I saw him play with them 4 times. As someone that has tinkered around with the bass guitar, I have to mention Stanly Clarke, and School Days before I close this post. And of course the late Jaco Pastorius, whom I haven't listened to, as much as I should.

wmonbear

Effective immediately, please be advised of the new Courtesy Rule for this thread:

Whenever a member posts music, please allow a least 2 days (48 hrs.) for the post to "air" before posting the next track, clip, or link.
Only commentary related to the current music posted should be shared during this blackout period.

Occasionally, you may see me post a green light 🟢 which will indicate that the thread is ready to accept the next music post.
Absent the green light, please apply the 2-day rule as mentioned. Thank you for your cooperation. :)

wmonbear

If you haven't seen this clip, it's worth a look if for nothing else than the killer drum solo by Ronald Bruner Jr.!

Courtesy Rule has been applied [retroactively] starting with Supafly's post.

wmonbear

note: The next music post is reserved for Mr. Daystar's post of Jean-Luc Ponty.

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.
note: The next music post is reserved for Mr. Daystar's post of Jean-Luc Ponty.
I appreciate that, but I'll pass to the next poster. I'm not real regular when it comes to posting, and I don't want to hold anyone up.

wmonbear

I appreciate that, but I'll pass to the next poster. I'm not real regular when it comes to posting, and I don't want to hold anyone up.

How very considerate of you. (y)
That means the thread will be open for another music post in about 20 hours.

Supafly

Retired Morgenmuffel
Bronze Member
Let us just post and share our Jazz faves. I feel Jazz and an rigid time table don't mix well.

wmonbear

Let us just post and share our Jazz faves. I feel Jazz and an rigid time table don't mix well.

I agree somewhat with your comment. The spirit jazz is largely based on improvisation which is antithetical to rigidity.
Guess I just want each music offering to be allowed its moment, ample opportunity to not only "breathe" but perhaps even resonate.
When a new song is posted, I get the feeling that the previous one is immediately archived, which kinda defeats the purpose of the thread.
As much as I'd like to post the next clip right now, I won't. Instead, I'm gonna respectfully wait at least 24 hours.

Last edited:

wmonbear

Here's one of famed jazz guitarist Lee Ritenour's greatest hits, performed live.